Lancaster House, a Crown mansion in St James's
Lancaster House is a grand mansion beside St James's Palace in London, built from the 1820s and known earlier as York House and then Stafford House. In 1913 the soap magnate Sir William Lever bought it, renamed it, and gave it to the nation. From then on the government used it for official hospitality, state receptions, and diplomatic meetings.